By Dustin Cabeal
I’ll admit that it was a slow burn getting into Dagashi Kashi. It is very much a Japanse candy commercial slash history lesson. I’m not joking. That is like 80% of the show. The other 20% is a strange love story that could just be a friendship story. The premise is weak as shit too, a young heiress to a Japanese candy company has come to a small town to recruit the owner of a candy shop because he’s the shit. Again, I’m not joking. He’ll only go if his son gives up his dream of being a manga artist and take over running the show, so now the eccentric heiress is trying to get him to take over the shop by challenging him to candy quizzes and other random crap.
The cast is what makes this show great. The bits they do, the ridiculousness of the plot and the how the characters deal with it wormed its way into my heart. I watched the first couple of episodes and took a break from it since each episode had a very similar setup, but after a few weeks, I found myself wanting to watch more. By the end, I was actually sad to see it go. It’s a show that has no real ending. It’s like a harem comedy in that way which was disappointing because there was the potential for a believable romance and not with the heiress. If you can make it through the first couple of episode or you just love Japanese candy, then you’ll find Dagashi Kashi to be damn good.